Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Day!!

I think I do Christmas really well, and I try really hard to make Birthday’s around our house a big deal, but all of those other holidays in between I usually forget about until . . . oh . . . about the day before. (I know, I know, what a horrible mom I am.) But this year I remembered Valentines, and not just on the 13th! I was prepared, and tried to make up for all the other horrible Valentines Day’s that I’ve forgotten.
So first I got up early and made sure to have gifts wrapped and set up on the counter for everyone. (I even used the cool tag maker that I got from Aunt Janet at Christmas, as well as some of the stamps, and made cute little tags for them all.)


Wes was the first up, and we watched the snow falling outside for a while. He is still fascinated by it and thrilled with it, each morning that he wakes up and sees it snowing.
Then I spent a while making pink heart pancakes for all my boys, so as soon as they all woke up, there was a nice hot breakfast for them. With a few bananas and some pink milk, it was a very cheery breakfast, that went over quite well. (Thank you to my good friend Brenda who gave me such a great idea.)
Then we opened gifts. Each boy got a new jacket, (this went over much much better than ever expected, usually clothes don’t get much response from my boys, but they loved these, yeah me!!) and a “tech deck”. (What the big deal is about little tiny skateboards that only your fingers can ride on, beats me, but they loved them. Boys, who knows???)
Then we went to the store to get a few extra things that we needed to finish Valentines for Grandma’s and Grandpa, went to the library, and came home to eat lunch. The boys got to pick out what they wanted for lunch while we were at Wal-mart. (A Lunchables for Wes, and a Cobb Salad for Riley. Can you believe he picked a salad over Pizza. Good for you Riley.)
Then while Wes went down for a quick nap, I started on my very long Valentines Cupcake Project, Grandma came over and gave us gifts (they were wonderful thanks mom!!) and then Riley and I did our usual Lego Star Wars thing that we try to do as often as possible.
When Phil got home, Wes announced first thing that Grandma had brought him a “Chicken Butt” book, and they had to sit down immediately and read it. I finished my very very long Cupcake Project, and I think they turned out pretty good!!! Then we headed to the Grandparents houses to give them our Valentines.
The day was wonderful and enjoyable, and I didn’t feel like an inadequate mother this year as I usually do at the end of a Holiday that I’ve forgotten.
As we were driving home at the end of the day – Wes speaks up from the back seat.
“Mom, I love you.” “I love you to Wesley.” (from me)
“Dad, I love you.” “I love you to Wes.” (from Phil)
“Riley, I love you.” “I love you to Wes.” (from Riley)
“I love you Myself.” Pause “I love you to, Myself.” Giggling from him and full out laughter from the rest of us!! What a cute kid.

3 comments:

  1. Wes, I love you!! And Heather, the bupcakes weren't only yummy, they were BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cupcakes...
    and cute kids!
    That Wes cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes are darling! And what a cute idea for Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete