Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wondering why I listen to Phil and getting cursed at by a man from India (I think) . . .

In between going to the Grotto, and getting lost in Springville, we made a quick stop to get a picture of 'The Krishna Lotus Temple' in Spanish Fork! We drove all the way around the place to see if we could get a decent shot. We had already gone around it once, and we were actually leaving, for I couldn't see a good place to stop, we saw a church across the road from it, and looking back it seemed like a really good spot. So Phil flipped around and then did another U-turn to end up in front of the church.
Since we had just been up to the Grotto, my capri's were wet up to the knees, I had removed my shoes and socks and so I could only slip my sneakers on half way. I got out and tried to set up, but ended up having some power lines in the way. Somehow Phil convinced me to run across the large busy road. Me with my wet pants, sneakers about to fall off, with a tripod in one hand and my long lens camera in my other. I'm sure I was quite the site. I finally got to the other side of the road (without getting hit or losing a shoe) and set up. The first spot didn't work - there was a llama enclosure roof in the way. So I picked up my tripod and camera and moved over. About the time I took the first picture, I heard a man behind me yell what sounded like "MAMA!" I turned around to see an Indian man on a bicycle coming toward me, but since I wasn't his 'mama' so I turned around and took another set of pictures. Again the man yelled "MAMA LLAMA!" (I swear that is exactly what it sounded like.) I wondered why he was yelling 'mama' at the llama's but again ignored him, and turned and took yet another set of pictures. By this time the man was next to me and going around me, and he started saying all sorts of things to me. Mostly it sounded like "MAMA LLAMA" over and over and over!! (Try it, say 'Mama Llama' loudly over and over and tell me it doesn't sound like a curse in Hindi.) I just smiled and feeling almost as if I were doing something illegal - I took a final set of picture, grabbed my stuff and checking to make sure I wouldn't become road kill, hurried as quickly as I could with soggy halfway on shoes, across the road. Phil told me that the man had waved at him. So, I guess I will never know if he was cursing me, or just saying "HI", but I did get a decent picture, so I guess it was worth it. But next time - I think I'll try to avoid llamas, and Indian men on bicycles.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, it's gorgeous! How is it that I've never seen this building in my life? It's a phenomenal picture... and I love the clouds...
    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that's beautiful!! ...was worth the llama-cursing, I think! Quite an adventure and you didn't even have to leave Utah County!!

    ReplyDelete