Everyone has heard the expression "Curiosity Killed the Cat." Right? I've used it a few times with my boys, usually when I'm getting bombarded with the plethora of "Why's" that every mother of young children comes to sooner or later dread. But it is usually followed by a confused blank stare from one or the other of them, and I can tell that the little wheels in their heads are doing overtime, trying to figure out how the family pet came to be a part of the conversation. Then of course I've got to explain, and trying to explain just about any expression to a 5 year old, makes the whole point of saying it, slightly null and void.
So anyway, I've recently gotten older (okay we all have, and if any of you haven't, please come on and share the wealth) Anyway, I mean to say that I've had a birthday - and while I love my birthday's (I'm spoiled rotten by my family for almost a whole week) there is that small thing of getting a bigger number "stamped" on your forehead, and nothing is enjoyable in that. However, this birthday made me think about just how old I'm getting. It's never bothered me before, no matter how much my sister tells me I'm becoming decrepit, until this year. (I'm still in my younger 30's, so I'm not ancient or anything) but I decided that now was the time to change. Not to wait until I'm in my younger 40's or maybe my younger 50's, but instead to start right now.
So the first thing I decided to do was to change my attitude, how I look at life and the things around me. I decided that I shouldn't try to just "fit in" any longer, (not that it has ever really worked for me anyway) and besides, there is more to me then being a follower, and I need to let the curiosity and uniqueness that makes me be me, come out. (Maybe not all at once, but a little at a time, baby steps.)
So I no longer think of "Curiosity Killed the Cat" as a bad expression. Which would I rather be, the cat who died of Curiosity, or the cat who died of boredom. I'm going to die someday, who isn't, and I might as well go down having fun, enjoying the things around me and of course being curious. Curious about me, my abilities, my children and their abilities, about hobbies, and sports, about food (especially about food) and crafts and adventure, and pretty much just about everything around me. I've always loved to learn, and try my best to learn anything and everything I can, but as for now, I'm stepping it up a notch. (Yes I'm a Food Network Fan.)
My life isn't and probably never has been in the normal, boring or common category. (I don't believe anyone's is.) And there will be stumbles and trials and problems that might throw my reborn overwhelming curiosity off track. And I KNOW there will be days that I long for "boring". But, those days will just make me stronger, more determined, and hopefully more excited to continue on. So from here on out I will happily consider my life as "Curiously Scrambled."
Good to hear that you aren't done with the blogging world. Your post on the other blog make me think that you were done. I'm okay with a new blog, new title, new whatever...as long as you keep going. And more frequently, would be better too! :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your new "title" for both you and your blog!!! Appears you've been doin' some real introspection, these days! And I agree...who wants normal and ordinary all the time...let's go for the gusto and have some fun!!
ReplyDelete